Skip to main content

Frank Hall

John Frank

A photo of John Prather Frank, board of trustees member from 1956-1979,vice chairman from 1964-1967, and chairman from 1968-1970. Found in “Board of Trustees, John Frank, circa 1967, photo 2,” Appalachian State University Libraries Digital Collections, accessed April 13, 2019,

Frank Hall, named after John Prather Frank, was completed in 1980. John Prather Frank was born on March 03, 1906 in Surry County, NC. Frank served as the president of the North Carolina Granite Corporation and a Mount Airy City Commissioner. Frank was the son of John Wesley and Josephine Case Frank and served on the board of trustees for Central United Methodist Church. Frank had ties with both Surry Community College and Appalachian State University, as he served on the board of trustees for both. Frank was a member of Appalachian State University board of trustees from 1956-1979, with a vice chairmanship from 1964-1967 and a chairmanship from 1968-1970. Frank died on February 26, 1990 at the age of 83.

Frank Hall

A photo of Frank Hall, the building was completed in 1980. Found in “Frank Residence Hall,” Appalachian State University Libraries Digital Collections, accessed April 17, 2019,

Originally known as New Dorm A, Frank Hall, was initially a men’s dormitory at Appalachian State University. The building was a part of the Stadium Heights Community of residence halls. In 2010, Frank Hall would become the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified building at Appalachian State University, after it received the Gold certification. The Gold certification is the second highest distinction of LEEDS. The distinctions are (Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Certified). LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification is representative of “globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement.” Frank Hall would joined by Mountaineer Hall and Cone Hall achieving Gold LEED certification in 2012 and 2013 respectively.